Thursday, March 26, 2009

Strictly Strictly

Please forgive the quality of the photos. I was rushed so didn't have time to get good ones.

Something very exciting happened at the school this afternoon. They had their first ever ballroom dancing competition.
Kids from the 3rd through 6th grades had been practicing hard for the last two months and today was the day that they would show off their new found skills.

It will ALWAYS be Strictly Come Dancing. ALWAYS!

First two groups of 3rd and 4th graders danced with a winner announced in each group. Then there were two groups of 5th and 6th graders.

Julianna was in the first of these. She didn't know her partner. He was from School 29 because there weren't enough boys at School 15 to partner the girls. She had never met, let alone danced with him before. They got off to a bit of a rocky start with the Tango but they performed the Waltz and Merengue beautifully. I was especially impressed with the Merengue! They really moved very well. Here is Julianna and her partner doing their thing:
Funky chicken!
They were couple #10Unfortunately #10 wasn't called in the top 3 in their group. But Julianna looked stunning and danced her heart out. I was VERY proud of her. I know that she was disappointed but I think she enjoyed herself all the same.
One of her friends, Brianna, danced in the second group of 5th and 6th graders. She came in third in her group and got this trophy:I don't know why they had 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the older group and not in the younger group.
I know I enjoyed my afternoon of entertainment and I hope the kids enjoyed being on the stage performing. I certainly know a couple of 1st graders who can't wait to give ballroom dancing a go!
Well Done Julianna. You were fantastic!

No comments: