Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Death By Chocolate and Other Delicious Deep Fried Delicacies

I had another fantastic Saturday.
Really.

It was awesome.

Well, except for the part where I wanted to go geocaching and couldn't because I was unable to load any caches onto my gps. I was not impressed. I think I have it figured out now thanks to my parents and Rob.
So, other than that Saturday was just great!

It all started on Friday. I don't watch a lot of TV anymore. I NEVER watch the Food Network. This Friday, I did. I didn't even watch the whole of the show. I think that I only watched the first 5 minutes because I needed to shower before picking the girls up from school. I watched enough though. In that 5 minutes I established that in the city there was a British Chippy and I immediately decided that the next day I would visit this place and take Chen Li along with me.

Chen Li had taken me to Chinatown one Saturday after we had been geocaching for some 'authentic' Chinese food. I just couldn't resist returning the favour. It sounds generous but I made her walk 2 miles for her food (I just calculated it on Google Earth!). She had had lunch. I hadn't. She needed to be hungry to eat fish and chips. I made her walk. Haha!

Words cannot describe the joy that I felt when we reached A Salt And Battery. (Just happens to be the best name EVER for a Chippy!!)The place was mobbed. Not surprising because it was teeny, tiny but it has a reputation too - a reputation for awesome fish and chips that is. We managed to squeeze into the place and ordered. The man taking the orders (who was from Durham incidentally) was a little shocked when he asked Chen Li if she would like a small or large portion and she answered, 'Medium.' Despite the misunderstanding, we got our orders of Fish and Chips (small) for Chen Li and a small portion of chips and Irn Bru for me.


I must say that it may be in New York but those chips beat the Blue Lagoon in Glasgow hands down. The Blue Lagoon isn't special. It is just down the road from my flat so is the one I go to. In fact, I was pretty disappointed with them last time I went. I was offered a job there once just cos I seemed nice. First impressions count! The only thing that is in Blue Lagoon's favour is the deep fried pizza. Definitely not something to eat all the time but really tasty! The chips were goooooooooooood!!I'm really sorry for including this one. Seeing people eat with their mouth open is one of my pet hates. I tell Michella off ALL THE TIME for doing it. Thank goodness she doesn't read my blog! I had meant to close my mouth before Lili took the pic but wasn't quick enough. I included it because of the man sitting next to me. I would LOVE to know what he is doing!!



I think Lili enjoyed her taste of Britain. The chips were good.....


But the fish was fantastic. She loved it. Check out that grease! Can't beat that!

After we had finished I did something daring. Something I have never done, and probably would never do, back home. I'm in New York so I'm allowed to be daring! I ordered a Deep Fried Mars Bar. I've renamed it Death By Chocolate. I would rather like to die this way and if I ate many more of these my arteries probably would seize up under the strain. Chen Li and I halved it (I could have eaten it all myself!) and, WOWZA, was it amazing!! It sounds so disgusting - a Mars Bar coated in batter and deep fried - but words really cannot describe it. I think I'm in love. They also did Deep Fried Toffee Crisps, Lion Bars and even Creme Eggs.

(I know, I look enormous. Probably all that deep fried food. Remind me to buy a fitted fleece!)Thumbs up from Lili!I know what you are thinking! H.O.T!

Right next to A Salt and Battery there is a restaurant and shop called Tea & Sympathy. The shop sells lots of British food. I indulged in Jelly Tots and Tunnock's Tea Cakes. Yummy!

They even had a London taxi outside:

This stuff isn't half as interesting when you are in Britain but in New York it is so exciting. I think Chen Li was a little scared at how giddy I got. I think she enjoyed it too though.

No comments: