Saturday, March 28, 2009

Leaf, Steve and Sally

We have a habit of finding our pets here. What can I say? We found and caught the bunny in the backyard. Today we found a new pet. Meet Leaf. Leaf is his official name but he has also been called Steve and Sally. I named him Steve and Michella kept calling him Sally even though she had already named him Leaf. I don't think it really matters. Snails are hermaphrodites (which I only found out today).

We found Leaf on the way home from the library. On the way to the library Michella had a major meltdown. But on the way home from the library we were able to stop to look at flowers and find snails. We just had to bring Leaf home. For Michella, it was love at first sight. I'm not sure what Leaf thought. I'm not fluent in Snail.
When we got home we got a small plastic container and the girls collected moss, grass and various bits and pieces to put in Leaf's new home. It looked pretty cosy to me.
But I guess Leaf didn't like it as he tried to escape.
Here's lookin' at you, Leaf.

Sadly, Michella's new pet didn't seem to take well to his new surroundings and after checking on him we discovered that Leaf had kicked the bucket. Michella was pretty sad.Here she is trying furiously to revive him.She was comforted by the fact that he was loved by someone:

Me: "At least someone loved him."

Michella: "Him and her." She is too smart!

Michella went on the computer and googled Google. I'm not joking. I appreciate the irony though. She wanted to google 'Why my snail died' but didn't know how to find Google so she googled it. Gotta love it. We decided that Leaf died of old age but Michella is feeling a lot of guilt. Poor thing.

We wish that you had lived with us for a longer period of time, Leaf. Thank you for being our snail.

Leaf/Steve/Sally (?-March 27,2009)


You have left a permanent mucus trail on our hearts.We miss you, Leaf!

No comments: