Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Little About The Songs on my Play List

The current ones anyway. No telling about ones in the future but I can tell you a little about why the songs are on the play list and what they mean to me etc etc....





Flower of Scotland - The Corries: This is the 'unofficial' Scottish National Anthem. It is unofficial because the national anthem is really 'God Save The Queen'. For example, it is God Save The Queen that is sung at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo (much to my disappointment!). For pretty much every other event, and by that I guess that I mean sporting, it is Flower of Scotland that is sung. Football. Hampden Park. Thousands of Scots all singing (vaguely) in tune. One voice. All together. Flags waving. Fantastic.


500 Miles - The Proclaimers: Another football classic. The rugby tries is but it doesn't quite work with the refined rugby crowd. Gotta just belt it out. Especially funny when everyone else starts doing the 'Na na na na's (that is so funny to type) in the wrong place, but you can be smug, knowing that you got it right. This is also my phone ring tone. I really wanted to see The Proclaimers when they came to NY but we were at Disney so there was a bit of a logistical problem.


Loch Lomond - Runrig: You can probably guess but it is another football classic. Sensing a theme? This one is sung at half time. Again, flags waving, all singing in one voice etc etc. Except, of course, during the Gaelic bit that no one really knows apart from those who can actually speak Gaelic. I can't. Although I can say, "Hello! How are you?" but I can't type it. I'm interested by the interpretations of the song. Some say that was attributed to a soldier sentenced to death by the English after the 1745 rebellion. One soldier was to be executed and the other would be allowed to live. The one taking the 'High Road' would be the one who wasn't executed. There was a belief that spirits would return to their homeland which is why he is taking the 'Low Road'. Anyway, that is one of a few interpretations. It is such a sad song but makes me extremely happy. Although it does make me cry when my Dad calls me when they are singing it at Hampden and I am stuck in a New York bar watching the game 3,000 miles away!


Highland Cathedral: This is BY FAR my most favourite piece of bagpipe music. EVER. Without doubt. I love it. I love the emotions that it evokes. I love that it makes me cry without fail every time I hear it. Just so wonderful!


Defying Gravity - Wicked: Gotta have a Wicked song on here to go along with my Wicked obsession. I sing this VERY loudly when there is no one else home. If people are home, I lip sync. Either way, I listen to it a lot. This is my favourite song from the show.


Gotta Be Somebody - Nickelback: This is my favourite recent song. This is how I used to feel. Now, not really at all but it still strikes a chord with me and I think that a lot of people feel that way.


Awakening - Switchfoot: Switchfoot are one of my most loved bands. This is the best song on their Oh! Gravity album. It was also one of the best songs that they performed when I saw them in NYC ages ago!
Switchfoot in concert


High of 75 - Relient K: Also one of my most loved bands. Saw them live too when they were in NYC (at the same concert that I saw Switchfoot). I just like the song!
Relient K in concert


Yesterday, Today, Forever - Vicky Beeching: The title says it all really. God is unchanging and is the same throughout time. This song reminds me of Keswick. Jonathan teaching us harmonies. Me singing bum notes really loudly and then laughing hysterically. I can still sing that harmony. So can Tina. We tried it last time I was in Carlisle. We're awesome.


Only Hope - Switchfoot: Another Switchfoot. This is from the film A Walk To Remember. I like the Switchfoot version rather than the one in the film. It is so beautiful.
Performing Only Hope. I cried


Far Away - Nickelback: This song reminds me of North & South. Not because it was in the series (that would be weird in a period drama) but because there was a North & South video on YouTube and it used this song. I would post a link to the video but it has been removed which is such a shame because it was such a great one.


My Savior, My God - Aaron Shust: Forgive the American spelling. I can't help it. That is the name of the song. I first sang this song at Summit Session 3 in 2006. It took me about half a year after Summit to find out who sung it and get the words and a recording of the song.


Dare You To Move - Switchfoot: Probably one of the best known Switchfoot songs. Also featured in A Walk To Remember. Again, I just like it!



Harry Potter theme: Just had to have this on my blog after I star stalked Daniel Radcliffe!


So there you go! Those are all the current songs on my play list. Some may not last much longer (I'm taking the Harry Potter theme off here soon!) and more will be added (I'll probably add some more Wicked tunes) but now you know why the songs are on my blog and what they mean to me. Maybe you weren't interested. That's OK. I told you anyway!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your selection ;D
I'm not a christian but swiftfoot are very nice to listen too ;D