Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Saturday

What a wonderful day my Saturday was. Fantastic!

I did have to get up early though, but I didn't mind much. Well, too much!
Carolyn picked me up at 9am and I made her take me to Crestwood Library where I had some DVDs and books to drop off. They kill you with late fees for the DVDs and I have a trip to Nashville to save for so I didn't want to fund the library in any way!

After that we went up to City Limits for breakfast. We made it up there safely despite Carolyn's crazy driving! I'm joking (sort of!)! :^) I had pancakes and Carolyn had eggs benedict. Yummy!
I found it funny that they put the strawberries in a jug. Why?

Good food, good chat. Fantabulous!

I found this sign rather amusing. I wish that they had expanded on it because I am interested to know what their definition of 'proper attire' is. I am fairly positive that I was dressed in 'proper attire' but one can never be too sure! The sign doesn't beat out this one though:This one was at Six Flags New England. I'm not sure that it would help the family atmosphere terribly by removing clothing but whatever!

After City Limits we headed over to Michaels. Now, where to start with Michaels?? I think the word is WOWZA! Or maybe WOAH, NELLY! Or maybe SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALADOCIOUS! (I spelled it right, I checked!) Michaels is a craft store and it is phenomenal. We spent forever in there! I think we mostly looked at the beads and things like that but I couldn't believe how much stuff there was in there. We tried on these hats:Special, right? Bet Carolyn was hoping that this pics wouldn't make an appearance, especially since it took me until Wednesday to blog about it, but here it is. It is a horrible picture of me but I wanted to put it up here because when I took the bug hat off I said, 'He's pretty cute.' I was talking about the bug hat. What I didn't see was that there was an old man to my right who thought I was talking about him. Haha! Serves me right for calling the bug hat a 'he'. Anyway, I found it funny. Maybe you had to be there. Or maybe just be me.

We spent a couple of hours in Michaels. I ended up buying some beads etc.

After Michaels it was time to head home. Such a fun morning! I really enjoyed myself!

But I did take a nap when I got home. I was wiped. Then I took a walk (when I got the pics for the last post) which incorporated the library. I wanted to get some more DVDs. I was thrilled to find that the 3 DVDs that I had on hold had all arrived. They were the new versions of Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion.

I watched Mansfield Park first. It really is good but I prefer the detail of the book. Mr Crawford's true character didn't really come across to me in this version. What I did like about it was that I didn't feel so uncomfortable about Fanny's marrying Edmund at the end. In the book it just seemed totally wrong. Just a little bit of trivia, the girl who plays the young Fanny has played younger versions of Billie Piper three times. I thought that was interesting.

Then I watched Sense & Sensibility. This was the one that I was most concerned about. I LOVE the film. I love the book too. I wasn't sure how they could improve it/make it different. Actually, I was really pleased with the outcome. The two particular improvements were Dan Stevens as Edward Ferrars and David Morrissey as Colonal Brandon. Dan Stevens brings across Edward's awkwardness whilst still being charming and not wooden at all. I love Hugh Grant but he was like a robot in that role. It is really the same with David Morrissey. Alan Rickman was just so mechanical and unnatural (which seems to be his style. He is the same when he is Snape and was the same in Love Actually). David Morrissey actually brings Brandon to life and you can see why Marianne would marry him in the end (although that was a conscious effort by those making the series). One thing that I didn't like was that they included the scene where Willoughby comes to explain himself and apologise which is also in the book. I don't want to feel any kind of pity towards Willoughby. I also didn't like the Steele girls. It just seemed like such a forced humour and I didn't appreciate it. They didn't quite pull it off like Fanny in North and South.

I watched Persuasion last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't know the story. I haven't read the book yet (I am getting to it but am still working my way through Emma). Can't complain about Rupert Penry-Jones at all. He might rival Richard Armitage as John Thornton. Is it bad that that is all I have to say on this one?

I know that you will all be thrilled to hear (if you actually managed to get through all of my ramblings) that the Siamese strawberry had not yet been eaten so I got some pics of the other side. In fact, I STILL don't think it has been eaten.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad you've finally got to watch persuasion properly! RPJ does rival RA, except he's soo posh you can't really imagine him doing a good 'you have to look 'ard' or 'look back, look back at me:('
i can't imagine RPJ saying that...and he doesn't have a very menacing stare...
btw, very much agree with you bout david morrissey! xxxxxx