Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hitting The Big Five-Oh!

My aim, before I left NY, was to get 50 geocaches. I started in September 08 and found my first, Malcolm Wilson Micro, on Sept 25th. I didn't do much caching in the winter months because it was just too blinking cold. But I started again in earnest at the beginning of April after a 4 month hiatus.
Yesterday, I got that coveted 50th cache. It was in a little wooded area called Butler Woods which was right beside the Bronx River Parkway. It was a really pretty place, despite being so close to the BRP.

Shame that the cache wasn't in good shape at all, but whatever! I found it all the same!

Today, I took Carolyn geocaching. We went to Sprain Brook Park where there are 8 caches in all. We managed to find 5. We would have gotten more but Carolyn needed to go back home so we will have to go back for the other 3. I think she enjoyed her taste of geocaching. I had fun but got sunburned on the first hot day of the year. It was in the 80s (near 30 celsius).

This was our first find of the day. This is the second part of a multi. (My nails are blue, not black in case you were wondering. Or even if you weren't!)

The cache was in the hollow of the tree.Carolyn couldn't see it even though it was right in front of her. Maybe because she had her eyes closed! :-)Wild turkeys!! How funny!Carolyn found this one! I had all but given up on the cache!

So much fun!

You may (or may not) have noticed that I have a little geocache counter thingy on my sidebar below my Twitter updates. I thought that was kind of cool.

And for those of you who do not know what geocaching is, here is the blurb from the caching website - geocaching.com

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world
by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate
hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences
online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense
of community and support for the environment.

No comments: