Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wicked!

Wicked was wicked amazing! I loved every second of it. This time, instead of being sat 10 rows back in the orchestra, I was right at the very, very, VERY back on the mezzanine and right on the end of the row. Lofty! Thankfully, the Gershwin Theatre is designed very well and the rows were steeped enough (does that even make sense? I have no clue but I guess you'll understand what I mean) so that people's heads were not in your way at all. The only real thing that made me realise that I was on the last row was that it took me a long time to notice that Elphaba (is it weird that I really like that name? Probably a good thing that I won't be having children any time soon. For the next hamster maybe?) was wearing glasses. I mean, she IS green so that probably didn't help but it was only when they caught the light ever so slightly that I saw them (and even then I wasn't totally sure until Glinda was making her over!). I loved Wicked even though I didn't really know the music (except for the song that Alex plays on the piano - and even then I didn't realise that it was a sad one) or the story. Both were pretty awesome and I must say that I was a little quicker than some of the people sitting around me at working out just how things fitted into the story.

Wicked made me cry. I mean, REALLY cry. I think it was happy tears. In fact, I'm sure of it cos I first started bawling when the flying monkey spoke! That was a good thing. That sounds very weird if you don't know the story, I'm sure!

I would go and see Wicked again in a second. I would probably pay the $300+ for the premium ticket (if I had that kind of money lying around - maybe I should tidy my room again!) if I had to. It was just truly awesome!

I do think it is funny that two Broadway musicals have main characters who are green (the other is Shrek).

On a totally new topic, I've been watching a little of the Australian Open. My favourites are out now though. My first favourite: Marat Safin (lost to Federer)
My second favourite: Marcos Baghdatis (lost to Djokovic)
My third favourite: Andy Murray (lost to Verdasco).

Bummer! But at least Djokovic is now out. That boy does himself no favours!

I'm not too interested in the Women's draw. I would have liked to see Jelena Dokic win. She has been through so much and I would love to see her come back strong without being under her dad's influence. She did well to get to the quarters.

No comments: