Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Productive Day.......

I FINALLY worked out how to put some extra things on my blog.
A day well spent I think!
If the music gets annoying, the player is at the bottom of the page and can be paused!

Today was a little mad and I can't believe that it is only Wednesday. This week is a LOOOOOOOOONG one. Maybe it is because I am going to see Wicked on Saturday and am SUPER excited about it. I got the last ticket in the 'reasonable' price range for that showing. I tried to get a ticket for last Saturday's evening performance but wasn't quite prepared to pay the $300+ for a premium ticket (the only available).
So, last Saturday having bought my Wicked ticket (try saying that five times really fast. It is just like Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry!) I somehow made the decision to stand in line at TKTS to get a ticket for a show that evening. Genius. It was 14 degrees Fahrenheit. That is -10 degrees Celsius. The line for the TKTS booth in Times Sq is always really long. But in the past it has moved pretty fast. Not today though! Of course not. The line just has to move as slowly as possible when your toes feel like they are going to fall right off your feet. Eventually, after waiting about an hour, I got to the booth and got a discounted ticket for The Little Mermaid. I then ran (as fast as my frozen stumpy legs could carry me) to the nearest Starbucks to warm up. By this point I was in pain and nearly crying but, incredibly, I survived!!

So, was my trial worth it?
Short answer: Yes!
Long answer: YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

I was in Row J in the orchestra section (or the Stalls as we call them back home. But a stall here is like a toilet cubicle and that wouldn't be worth the price or the cold!) so, only 10 rows back. The show was incredible and I would definitely recommend it. I have seen 3 Disney musicals on Broadway: The Lion King (twice), Mary Poppins and The Little Mermaid. I think I would rate The Little Mermaid in the middle of the other two. Nothing can beat The Lion King but all are certainly worth going to see. I definitely enjoyed my night. I laughed, I cried and grinned my way through an absolutely AMAZING show.
The highlight was definitely the kid who played Flounder, Brian D'Addario. In the Broadway musicals I have seen, the kids tend to be OK. Not brilliant and certainly their singing on the night hasn't been wonderful (I know, I know! Like I could do it! But I expect.... no, demand brilliance!) but this kid was absolutely astounding! P.E.R.F.E.C.T.

The lady sitting in front of me was weepy at the end. She told me it was because she was remembering when her daughter was younger and used to have Flounder and Sebastian as her imaginary friends. The girl, who is probably about 14 or 15 years old now, was standing right next to her mother as she was telling me this. I don't think she was impressed at this story being told. Apparently Flounder and Sebastian were shipped off to her aunt's house when her baby brother was born because she didn't think that they would like him. Such a cute story. Bet her mum got in trouble for telling it though!

Only 3 more days until Wicked.............

No comments: