Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jaw dropping mind benders

Last Wednesday my jaw dropped!! I mean, really dropped. I'm surprised that I ever managed to pick it up again.
I was picking up the girls from CCD (Catholic religion classes). Michella's class is usually the last one out (which I find weird cos it is the youngest class!) and so Julianna and I were just waiting outside in the freezing cold. Gotta tell you, the wait was pretty boring. Julianna had left me to discuss premature babies with some other kids from her class. So, I was minding my own business as much as I could but I overheard a conversation between one of the teachers and Julianna's teacher. She leant over to him and said this:
'I was reading my Bible the other day and I discovered something.'
He turns to her, 'Oh?'
'Yes! Did you know that Lot was Abraham's nephew??' she said incredulously.
'Um... yes I did', said he.
'Well, I had NO CLUE!', she said!

Remember, this woman TEACHES religion!! She teaches these kids about THE BIBLE!
I was pretty shocked. Um, she probably should have realised that a LONG time ago. I'm sorry, but I do believe that if you are teaching something then you should know about what you are teaching. Abraham and Lot are pretty big players in the Bible.
Maybe it is just me who thinks that is important but I was SHOCKED!

On another note, I was asked an interesting question the other day. Robbin is trying to sort out the 8th grade year book and the lady who is helping her came over with her 3 kids - one is obviously in 8th grade and two younger ones. Anyway, we were playing on the Wii and the boy asks me this question: 'What is your culture?' It was so out of the blue that I had no idea how to answer. Thankfully, what he really meant was 'Where are you from?' and that one is easier to answer... although still maybe a little complicated. But it did get me thinking... what is my culture? I would rather not be growing up in the English or Scottish culture but as a child of God. It is something that still has got me thinking, especially about what I value most in this life. I wish to live the culture that God intended humans to live. I have always prided myself on my Scottish heritage (I LOVE Scotland!) but that is so totally unimportant compared to belonging to my God. I am all for Him! He wants us to lead a life that goes beyond any worldly culture.

Finally, it snowed again today but at one point it looked as if glitter was falling from the sky! Beautiful!

No comments: