Thursday, November 05, 2009

Remember, Remember

the 5th of November,

Gunpowder, treason and plot,

I see no reason why gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.

Tonight is Bonfire Night. The fireworks are lighting up the sky already. This is my first Bonfire Night for two years and actually I'm not celebrating it tonight at all!

That's because the Darlington bonfire and fireworks display was last Saturday. It seemed to me like it should have been on this Saturday coming up because it is closer to 5th November but apparently they are always on the last Saturday in October.

The town fireworks were really good. There was a 'space' theme so all the music was to do with space. Duh! They even had a big white balloon (a bit like a mini hot air balloon) that lit up at one point and rose up. It was meant to be the moon. Super cute.

I didn't get great pics cos I just used my phone and I don't have a phone with a 12.1 Mega Pixels (or whatever the stupid amount is that James' has!) camera but behind Simon, Anthony and Lorraine is the bonfire.I had a blast with Sarah. We giggled and swayed through the entire display. What a monkey Bethan is!Abi and Bethan. There was a whole bunch of us there from church but these were the only photos I got.Aren't they wonderful! Darlington really outdid themselves this year. Can you see the 'moon' at the bottom of the photo?

If you don't know what Bonfire Night is, it is a commemoration (for want of a better word!) of the Gunpowder Plot in 1605 where a group of men, including Guy Fawkes, tried to assassinate the king, James I/VI (He was king of both England (I) and Scotland (VI)) by blowing up the Houses of Parliament. The conspirators wanted a catholic monarch. Their plot was discovered and they didn't get to light the gunpowder that they had amassed in the basement of Parliament. The most famous conspirator was Guy Fawkes and sometimes people burn a 'Guy' on their bonfires. Bonfire Night is sometimes called Guy Fawkes Night.

It is a little strange to celebrate such an event but I guess we are celebrating it not happening?

Now it is just fun really. All that was missing from my Bonfire Night was a toffee apple!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That was such a fun night- I wish it was this Saturday and we could do it all again!It was lovely to have you back for your first Bonfire Night in aaageesssss!xx

Beth said...

sad i missed this! ack, hope darlo does itself as proud next year :)