Saturday, June 06, 2009

My Sweet Julianna

Today was horrible.

Not just the weather. It rained all day. ALL day!

I shouldn't say today was horrible really. It wasn't. It was quite a good day. Normal. Except for Michella's Brownie Bridging Ceremony.

She has completed being a Daisy and they hold a 'Bridging Ceremony' for the Daisys (Daisies? I'm not sure how to write it in this instance!) to become Brownies. It was super cute. They had to actually walk over a little wooden bridge and their Brownie pins were pinned onto their Daisy vests by older Girl Scouts. Michella's was pinned on by Julianna. Their pins are pinned on upside down and then will be turned the right way in another ceremony when they become Brownies officially. It is a little complicated but the kids loved it.

In all today was a good day. It just all went to pieces as I was making dinner. Julianna and I were talking about the friendship bracelets that she makes with her friends. They are known as the "Six Strings of Friendship" - so adorable. They actually sell their bracelets. I was telling her that I would have to buy one from her before I leave. She, in turn, told me how many she had to do before mine.

Then it clicked how soon I am leaving.

The look on her face.

I will never forget it.

She tried not to cry.

I tried too. It didn't work.

It hurt that I had made her cry. I mean, it wasn't like I set out to do that but it upset me that I'd upset her.

Then she talked about me leaving for the rest of the evening. She was trying to be nonchalant. She didn't fool me.

She hugged me every time that she walked passed me.

She was sad. I was sad. We just tried to keep from mentioning it to Michella.

My sweet, sweet Julianna. She is more like me than I care to tell her. Poor girl. I'm going to miss her smiling face. Sweet, sweet Julianna.

No comments: