Tuesday, October 06, 2009

I Got My Bake Back, Baby!

I've always loved baking. I'm pretty sure that it comes from my Mum who is the baking queen. I love creating all the sweet treats... biscuits, brownies, cakes etc etc.
But when I was in America I totally lost my bake. I mean, seriously. I was terrible. My disasters included burning Place and Bake cookies, ruining Aunt Chrissy's 'Best Oatmeal Cookies in the World' and making inedible cookies for a school bake sale. Oh man, I was awful!

Now that I'm back in Darlington I seem to have gotten my bake back! Hurrah! It mostly started by the need for me to have a Red Velvet Cupcake. I hadn't had my usual Saturday NYC treat since I left NY.... obviously! So, I decided to just go right ahead and make my own. I found a recipe on someone's blog - it was originally a Paula Deen recipe. The cupcakes turned out tasty but slightly too oily. Even Sarah got a cupcake for her 21st on Thursday.But, the bug had bitten me.......

I decided to buy a new recipe book - The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook. Oh, how I wish we had one of their stores up here. Even the front page of their website makes me drool! I mostly bought the book because a) the pics are good enough to eat and b) they have a recipe in it for Red Velvet Cupcakes that uses butter rather than oil. Seeing as we still had some cupcakes left from my previous baking session I decided to try something different and went for these Marshmallow Cupcakes. I think my favourite bit of these cupcakes was making a hollow in each cake for melted marshmallow. Eating all those little circles - delicious! I found the actual finished cupcakes a little too sweet.
I had a good excuse to make some more cupcakes as we had a memorial service at church and I'd promised that I would make something for the tea afterwards. That time I made vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting. Sounds a little dull but I made the frosting yellow and decorated them liberally with sprinkles of various kinds! No pictures of these ones but they tasted gooooooooooood! I will definitely be using this as my 'staple' cupcake recipe. No other recipe will do.
We have a fellowship tea at church on Sunday so I have another excuse to bake. I'm thinking that I'll try the Hummingbird Red Velvet recipe..... but there are a lot of others in the book that I'd love to try. I wish there were more people in this house so that I could justify baking lots and lots but I'd be afraid that there would be a lot of wasted cupcakes and that would be a travesty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they look sooooo good!!! Sophie