Monday, November 10, 2008

The Campbells of Carlisle (PA!)

I rented a car early on Saturday morning and drove over 200 miles to Carlisle, Pennsylvania, to visit the lovely Campbell family! I was very excited to see them. The journey took me about 3 and 1/2 hours and was pretty easy. The car that I got from the rental company was a black Mercury Sable and was fairly nice. Insanely spacious (which I didn't need cos it was only me in the car!), excessively sensitive brakes (but then again, most cars have sensitive brakes compared to the truck I drive here!!) and poor acceleration (stopped me from speeding too much!).
I drove through a lot of rain so I was worried that the weekend would be a wash out but I came through the other side to beautiful sunshine!
I arrived at Craig Lane at about 12pm. Meg and Mairi arrived just after me. Megan's practice (I still haven't worked out what for!) ran on longer than they expected so when I arrived there was no one there.
We had lunch and then Megan and I found a geocache on the school's cross country route. Since they live right next to the school it wasn't a very long walk!Megan found the cache. She was very happy about it!

Meg introduced me to her fish which she got recently. He is rather handsome and very much aloof. Can you guess which literary character he is named after?? Of course, it is Mr Darcy!

After that we walked round to the church to meet Tina who had been paint balling with the youth group. After that we drove in my wonderful rental to Wal Mart to copy a photo for Megan. On the way we played Lou Fellingham really loudly with the windows down and we were, of course, singing along too. Carlisle needed it. We then tried to find a couple of geocaches but only had success with one (a virtual cache). One of the others I knew was up a tree. Well, if ever you need a tree climbed the best person to have with you in Caitriona Campbell! Only, she was wearing crocs! She put on my trainers and we tried getting the cache but couldn't place it. Oh well.

In the evening we went to Bonanza. Such a great restaurant! We ate far too much but it was all so delicious!

Megan had homework to do in the evening so Tina and I watched Hello, Dolly! I've never seen it before, despite it being about Yonkers! It is so wonderful! Very funny! The only thing was that both Tina and I were excessively tired by this point and the film seemed to go on FOREVER!

On Sunday we went to church (fairly obviously seeing as David is the minister!). The girls went off to their Sunday School and I went with Mairi to a class on James. It was really great. James is one of my favourite books in the Bible and it is always good to hear more on it. In church we looked at the first 4 verses of Luke.

There was a church luncheon so we stayed for that. It was good fun and there was lots of good food. When we went home Megan, Tina and I played and sang our way through most of the Keswick songbook and then went for a walk.

Then I had to head home. The journey was fine and I made it home soon after 8pm.

What a great weekend!

No comments: